Sunday, April 8, 2012

The meaning of Easter as it plays out in my life:

For those of us that are Christians, Easter offers hope.  Jesus rose from the dead offering hope to all that believe.  I'm not a religious person, but I am a spiritual person.  I don't worship in church, though I have in the past and find great comfort there.  I am of the belief that my God is everywhere and I don't necessarily need to be inside a building to praise him.

Today's reminder for me was clearly portrayed on the morning news.  A man suffered an accident and a severe spinal cord injury.  He was in a coma for a while.  His girlfriend stayed by his side to support him.  THREE years after his accident they got married.  He was in a wheelchair, unable to walk or turn his head from side to side.  Needless to say dancing with his bride was out of the question.

FIVE years after his accident, his now wife heard of a machine being used in treatment for spinal cord rehab.  They travelled to Louisville, Kentucky.  The machine is called LOCO MAT.  The man entered physical therapy at this institution and after three months was able to stand on his feet, by himself, for the first time in FIVE years.   Shortly after, his wife attended a physical therapy session with him and was surprised when their wedding song played in the background and her husband asked her to dance.  Not a boogy oogy type of dance but rather a slow swaying in place.

Those of you that know me, know of my story with Eligio.  This is EXACTLY why I will never give up on his recovery.  I don't care what the odds are, nor do I care what the general consensus is.  I learned a very long time ago from a very wise man that as long as there is breath there is hope.

For me, this is the true meaning of Easter.

Oh, and by the way, how grateful am I that Spaulding Boston, where Eligio does his therapy, has the LOCO MAT and that's exactly how Eligio learned to walk again.

Thank you God.

Happy Easter to each and everyone of you.  And my wish is that you never, ever give up hope


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment